Rehoboth Beach – in the Beginning
As a slight bit of history we are presenting this photo of a “City of Rehoboth Beach” plaque and photo. The plaque is transcribed below the picture, which is being presented in an “ol’ timey” format.
CITY OF REHOBOTH BEACH
On January 27, 1873, the “Rehoboth Beach Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Church” was incorporated by the Delaware legislature for the purpose of establishing “a permanent camp meeting ground and Christian sea-side resort.” With the coming of the railroad in 1878, the growth of the community was accelerated. On March 19, 1891, as act was passed incorporating the municipality as Cape Henlopen City. The name was formally changed to Rehoboth in 1893. Since its founding the City of Rehoboth Beach has continued to be one of the most popular resorts on the Atlantcic Coast, attracting thousands of visitors each year.